More tank work

Forgot to take before pics of the piece of 20"x24" 16g, but it's pretty simple, cut it down on the shear to 17" long and took it over to the brake

Tunnel bent up...had to be this wide and square to fit over the retarded pressed sheetmetal Honda frame

Test fit and marked to be cut


Final test fit

Had to grind down the factory weld seam on the frame to the rear of the tank could sit lower

Welded up...hate welding sheet metal, guess I just need to get better at it

Final look...not gonna weld it up until we decide on a petcock and order the rubber mounts we need to mount the tank

Tomorrow we’ll probably make up a small tailsection/hump and cut out a seat pan if we have time.  Lower shock mounts need to be moved forward 1″ as well to reduce some of the shock angle and give us a bit more clearance between the hoop/rear of the frame and the rear tire.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone…

Stator cover mod


1" trimmed off the back edge, starting to cut out cover

view from the back, you can see the factory stress/cast marks I used as a template

Random pattern, but interesting and the only real way to cut it and keep any strength

it'll be painted black when all is said and done...still need's some finishing touches

Sons of Anarchy fairing install…or so I’m told

HD and Ness Fairings are close to $300 and don’t come with mounting hardware.  I found this fairing on fleabay for $55 shipped, just needed a new mounting bracket…I think it’s originally for an older sportster.

Some aluminum sheeting I had laying around

scroll saw works great on aluminum

finished edges...used a pair of dividers to get the curves traced out and even before cutting

test fitted...mounts using the T-bar bolts

some finish work

someone stopped by to bring me lunch...speed holes drilled in mount

fairing bolted up to get a final test fit

Some self etching primer followed by black epoxy paint...

you can see the existing sheetmetal bracket which came with the fairing



Old Dyna pics continued…

Dirtbike pegs installed...yes they still pivot

Horn before

Horn after

Pinstripe countesy of Salty John

V&H HO Propipe, Ness Big Sucker intake, and Power Commander installed

Taillight removed...need to fill fender and paint

Cleaner without the horn cowbell stickin out

Pipe is too damn long for my tastes and riding style…when the 450 project is done, I’ll shorten it and make a new end cap.


Well the XS tank was good to go…or so we thought.  Andrew got the motor in and we quickly saw the tank just sits too low and hits the motor.  Lifting the tank up as much as need to clear the motor was just plain stupid looking.

The only pic we had of the XS tank on with the motor's sitting on the valve cover now and would need to be raised over an inch to clear things


So we raided dad’s stash of bike parts and found an ’71 Ironhead tank off his project bike. At first I wasn’t sold on it, but it’s grown on me and we’re gonna use it.  Only drawback is it’s small to begin with and once we cut out the old tunnel and weld the new 4″ wide tunnel in, it will probably hold less than two gallons of gas…oh well.

Tank start

Managed to cut most of the tunnel out of the XS tank…tomorrow Andrew is gonna put the motor back in so we can find out where the tank needs to be.  Those are the stock shocks slapped on, just so the bike can be rolled around…pay no attention to the rusty pipe used to get a feel for how drag bars might look.

Should be getting a Harbor Freight table soon…so I wont have to lean this thing against the trash cans anymore.  The lower shock mount will be moved forward about 1.5″ to help reduce the shock angle…thinking about running a set of these no name air shocks off fleabay…anyone use ‘em before?  It seems you can get them anywhere from 11″ to 13.5″ long for $80-$100.

Updated 450 build…

Catching up on recent progress and trying to figure out this wordpress/blog/website stuff…



cut swingarm with 3" extension slugs machined out of 1.250" cold rolled round stock

welded up

new stance....tank just setting there...needs new tunnel to fit


motor dropped....rear subframe chopped...(photo flipped to compare original stance to the new look in the picture above)

new rear hoop tacked into place

wheels and forks pulled

side "panels" mocked up

trimmed, welded, and cleaned up

left side

rear view

finished side view...not sure about it, might cut it all off...have to wait until I get the chassis back together



extra stuff

wiring harness labeled and removed


Fork rebuild and lowering 2"

after said lowering of forks

I found this 1982 Honda CM450C on craigslist for $100.  Got her home, cleaned out the carbs and aired up the tires.  Fired up and she ran for about 30 minutes before the carbs loaded back up with crap.  At least I know the tranny, clutch, and engine all work like they should.  See beginning pic below…